February 21, 2014
New college textbook prices have risen 82% from 2002 to 2012 (GAO, 2013). Textbook costs reduce student success when students take fewer courses, earn a lower grade or fail a course, or drop a course because they can’t afford the book.
College faculty are stepping up to reduce textbook barriers with high-quality open textbook publishing initiatives, described in this slideshare presentation. Follow progress at SUNY, Rice, and University of Minnesota.
Have you considered or adopted an open access textbook at SCC?
October 9, 2013
At SCC you-all borrowed library ebooks a total of 1380 times in September.
A Dozen Top eBooks for September:
- The use of forensic anthropology (used 54 times)
- Is human nature obsolete? : genetics bioengineering, and the future of the human condition (used 48 times)
- Hurricane Katrina : impact, recovery and lessons learned (used 41 times)
- Ageism : stereotyping and prejudice against older persons (used 24 times)
- China and the developing world : Beijing’s strategy for the twenty-first century (used 23 times)
- A history of the modern Middle East (used 23 times)
- Leadership and the new science : discovering order in a chaotic world (used 23 times)
- The SAGE handbook of mental health and illness (used 16 times)
- Torture and Impunity : The U.S. Doctrine of Coercive Interrogation (used 16 times)
- Art therapy exercises : inspirational and practical ideas to stimulate the imagination (used 16 times)
- Handbook of prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination (used 14 times)
- The craft of research (used 12 times)
You can find ebooks in the library catalog, but there are more than 120,000 additional ebooks in the shared Los Rios subscription ebook collection. And they are all free to you as current students and staff.
The Best Way To Find Ebooks: Type a keyword search in OneSearch (on the Library home page) and hit Search.
Scroll down the left side of the results page, check eBooks, and Click eBooks. (You may need to add more limiters if the number is unwieldy.)
Detailed instructions on how to read an ebook in your browser, save it as a pdf, download (check out) an ebook, and put it on your device (for ebooks on the Ebsco platform).
Video on how to get Ebsco ebooks on your iPad!